Based on studies from the Surgeon General of the United States, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), the National Center for Chronic Disease Prevention and Health Promotion, and the President's Council on Physical Fitness and Sport, the benefits for including Physical Education in Nevada Schools include:
Helps build and maintain healthy bones, muscles and joints
Helps control weight, build lean muscle, and reduce fat
Prevents or delays the development of high blood pressure and helps reduce blood pressure in some adolescents with hypertension
Our responsibility as physical education teachers is to provide opportunities for all students to be physically educated and enjoy moving. Students who participate in quality physical education programs receive a variety of benefits in the areas of movement skills, physiological conditioning, psychosocial development, and tactical knowledge and application.
In GV Christian Physical Education classes, students learn:
- A variety of motor skills and abilities related to lifetime leisure activities
- The importance of maintaining a healthy lifestyle
- An understanding of movement and the human body
- Knowledge of rules and strategies of particular games and sports
- Self-confidence and self-worth as these relate to physical education
In order to achieve these goals, our 6th-8th grade physical education program teaches the fundamentals of a different sport each month.
Our schedule is as follows:
- August - Introduction to GV Christian Physical Education Program, structure of class time, rules and expectations, etc.
- September - Volleyball (Nevada P.E. Content Standards 1,2,4,5)
- October - Soccer (Nevada P.E. Content Standards 1,2,4,5)
- November - President's Physical Fitness Challenge (Nevada P.E. Content Standards 1,2,4,5)
- December - President's Physical Fitness Challenge Testing (Nevada P.E. Content Standard 4)
- January - Running and Golf (Nevada P.E. Content Standards 1,2,4,5)
- February - Basketball (Nevada P.E. Content Standards 1,2,4,5)
- March - Hockey (Nevada P.E. Content Standards 1,2,4,5)
- April - Dance (Nevada P.E. Content Standard 3)
- May - Racquet Sports (Nevada P.E. Content Standards 1,2,4,5)
GV Christian's High School Physical Education program is a program designed to teach our students health and fitness through weight training. Our goal is to promote physical fitness today, and throughout their lives.
The first semester, class meets twice a week in the weight room where students are given the opportunity to work one of the 11 major muscle groups of the human body. Each student is required to keep a logbook to track body parts exercised, weight used, exercises performed, number of repetitions per set, etc. The first week of each month, our students track their progress through a variety of measures such as: body fat testing, weigh in, and overall improvement in performance. We constantly review proper form, technique, and strategize ways to improve overall health and wellness.
The second semester, class meets three times a week. In addition to weight training class, students are required to train for a 5K race. Each week a practice course is set up on campus, and students are taught the fundamentals of distance running. They learn ideas such as efficiency of human movement, breathing control, positive self-talk, proper running form, etc. At the end of the semester, students participate in an organized, charitable 5k race. This event is exciting, empowering and life changing for all!