Language Arts Material
- Letters and Sounds (ABeka Curriculum)
- Writing with Phonics Cursive (ABeka Curriculum)
- Spelling and Poetry (ABeka Curriculum)
- English 2 Writing and Grammar (Bob Jones Curriculum)
Second grade phonics is spent expounding and mastering concepts taught in first grade. These include, but not limited to: the 132 special sounds, phonetic rules, rhyming words, and adding suffixes and prefixes correctly.
Goals for English are as follows:
- Fosters an appreciation of language as a gift from God
- Develops the correct use of English grammar in writing and oral communication
- Uses the Writing Process to learn different types of compositions
- Develops study and reference skills
- Improves listening and speaking skills
- Encourages enjoyment through chapter themes and connections to other subject areas
Math (Saxon 3rd Grade Curriculum)
- Number Sense and Numeration from factions to millions
- Concepts of whole number operations
- addition with carrying
- subtraction with borrowing
- multiplication multiple digits by single digits
- division multiple digit numbers by a single digit divisor
- Fractions and decimals
- Time and money
- Graphing and statistics
- Problem solving strategies
- Memorization of math facts
- Addition of single digit to single digit
- Subtraction (reverses of single digit to single digit)
- Multiplication 0 to 5
Second grade handwriting is a class favorite because cursive is taught. By third quarter, students will have learned both upper and lower case letters and they are allowed to do all their work in cursive.
Spelling and Poetry
Starting week 3 of the school year, students receive a weekly spelling list. The lists range from 15-25 words depending on the time of the year. Starting in the third quarter, three vocabulary words are added to the list. The spelling words are grouped together according to phonetic rules. Students are required to write out the meaning of each spelling word from a Scholastic Children's Dictionary. We also have a weekly wordfind.
History and Geography (ABeka Book Curriculum)
- America, Our Home
- States Binder
History class meets two days a week. One day focuses on the History book. Here students learn what it was like to grow up in America in the 1800's. The second day is spent learning fun facts about two states. Students have a State Binder for all the information learned throughout the year. In May, students will complete a State Report.
Science (ACSI Purposeful Design)
2nd grade science introduces students to vertebrates, invertebrates, habitats, energy, motion, the five senses, seeds, weather and oceans.
Bible (A Beka)
The focus is on Life of Moses, Joshua, Judges, Ruth, Jonah, the first Christmas, Thanksgiving and Easter.