Language Arts Material
- Phonics and Language 2 (Abeka Curriculum)
- Writing with Phonics Manuscript 1, D’Nealian (Abeka Curriculum)
- Spelling and Poetry (Abeka Curriculum)
Second grade phonics is spent expounding on and mastering concepts taught in first grade. These include, but not limited to: the 132 special sounds, phonetic rules, rhyming words and adding suffixes/prefixes.
Goals for Language are as follows:
- Fosters an appreciation of language
- Develop the correct use of English grammar
- Uses the Writing Process to learn different types of compositions
- Develop study and reference skills
- Improve listening and speaking skills
Math (Saxon 3rd Grade Curriculum)
- Concepts of whole number operations
- Fractions and decimals
- Time and money
- Graphing and statistics
- Problem-solving strategies
- Memorization of math facts
- Addition of single digit to single digit
Student will master manuscript. By the third quarter, students will start learning D’Nealian
Spelling and Poetry
Every week, students receive a spelling list. The lists range from 15-20 words and are grouped together according to phonetic rules.
History and Geography (Abeka Book Curriculum)
- Our America
History class meets once a week. The students learn about the Sweet Land of Liberty, Early America, Colonia America, A Free America, A Growing America, The American West, New America and Tomorrow’s America.
Science (Nancy Larson)
Second grade science students will: Investigate the Physical Properties of Matter, Observe Rocks and Mineral, Investigate Forces and Work, Examine Simple Machines, Explore Sound and Light, and Investigate Birds
The focus is on the lives of Moses, Joshua, Judges, Ruth and Jonah. We also learn about the first Christmas, Thanksgiving and Easter.