Language Arts Material
- Letters and Sounds (Abeka Curriculum)
- Writing with Phonics Cursive (Abeka Curriculum)
- Spelling and Poetry (Abeka Curriculum)
- English 2 Writing and Grammar (Bob Jones Curriculum)
Second grade phonics is spent expounding on and mastering concepts taught in first grade. These include, but not limited to: the 132 special sounds, phonetic rules, rhyming words and adding suffixes/prefixes.
Goals for English are as follows:
- Fosters an appreciation of language
- Develops the correct use of English grammar
- Uses the Writing Process to learn different types of compositions
- Develops study and reference skills
- Improves listening and speaking skills
- Encourages enjoyment through chapter-themes and connections to other subjects
Math (Saxon 3rd Grade Curriculum)
- Concepts of whole number operations
- Fractions and decimals
- Time and money
- Graphing and statistics
- Problem-solving strategies
- Memorization of math facts
- Addition of single digit to single digit
By the third quarter, students will have learned both upper and lower case cursive letters.
Spelling and Poetry
Every week, students receive a spelling list. The lists range from 15-25 words and are grouped together according to phonetic rules. Students are required to write out their meaning according to the Scholastic Children's Dictionary.
History and Geography (Abeka Book Curriculum)
- America, Our Home
- States binder
History class meets two days a week. The students learn about in America in the 1800's and learn fun facts about each state. Students have a state binder for all the information learned throughout the year. In May, students write a report about a state.
Science (ACSI Purposeful Design)
Second grade science introduces students to vertebrates, invertebrates, habitats, energy, motion, the five senses, seeds, weather and oceans.
The focus is on the lives of Moses, Joshua, Judges, Ruth and Jonah. We also learn about the first Christmas, Thanksgiving and Easter.